Somalia’s Puntland authorities are preparing a security operation along the region’s coastline, particularly in Eyl district and surrounding areas, following a resurgence of piracy and other illegal maritime activities.
In a statement, Puntland’s Ministry of Security and DDR said security agencies and local authorities in coastal districts had been mobilized to counter the renewed piracy threat and investigate activities along the coastline.
The ministry said it “strongly opposes” the resurgence of piracy and warned that the renewed activity posed a threat to coastal communities and maritime security.
Puntland also condemned recent strikes along its coastline, saying fishing communities had been affected. According to the statement, the administration is seeking an urgent explanation over strikes in the Gardafuu region on August 18 and 20, 2026, which it said targeted fishermen and their property.
The ministry warned that strikes by international warships against coastal areas, particularly when civilians and civilian property are affected, could undermine cooperation between Puntland and its international partners in the fight against piracy.
The statement also said Puntland was investigating claims that “forces outside Puntland” could be supporting the renewed piracy operations for political and economic interests. The administration did not identify the alleged forces or provide evidence supporting the claim.
The Puntland government’s statement comes amid reports of renewed piracy incidents off the Somali coast and in the wider Gulf of Aden, raising concerns about the possible return of maritime attacks after years of relative decline.
Puntland said it remains committed to working with international partners to combat piracy and other illegal activities, while emphasizing the need to protect coastal communities and their livelihoods during security operations.
Mustaqbal